Refugee Assistance Program - Income and Resources Requirements
DSHS Home Page
Search     for:

DSHS Home    Acronyms    Revisions    WAC Number Index    Site Map    WCCC

Refugee Assistance Program - Income and Resources Requirements

Revised March 25, 2011


WAC 388-466-0140Income and resources for refugee assistance eligibility

WAC 388-466-0140

WAC 388-466-0140

Effective October 13, 2012

WAC 388-466-0140 Income and resources for refugee cash assistance eligibility

  1. How does DSHS count my income and resources when determining my eligibility for refugee cash assistance? 

We determine your eligibility for RCA using the TANF rules about income and resources in chapters 388-450 and 388-470 WAC, except we do not count a onetime resettlement cash payment provided to you by your voluntary agency (VOLAG).

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.


One time cash assistance provided to a client by VOLAG may not be considered as earned or unearned income because it covers the initial cost of resettlement, not ongoing expenses.


Establish one assistance unit for:
  1. All adult refugees legally responsible for each other.

  2. An unmarried person without dependents.

  3. A child who is a member of his or her parent's TANF / SFA assistance unit and who reaches the age of 18 before the end of eight months after arrival to the US.  Establish a separate assistance unit for the child effective the first of the month following the month of the child's 18th birthday.

Modification Date: March 25, 2011