Background Check Central Unit (BCCU)BCCU conducts over 300,000 background checks annually, including approximately 100,000 fingerprint based checks for Department of Social and Health and Services programs and authorized service providers who serve vulnerable adults, juveniles, and children. Our authorized service providers include but are not limited to:
• Adult in-home care providers
• Long-term residential care for adults
• Services for people with developmental disabilities
• Residential programs for children and youth
Background checks conducted through BCCU are run through a centralized database, which enables BCCU to provide accurate and consistent background check information to all of our customers. BCCU’s central data system searches, stores, and send background check information from several sources that include:
• Applicant self-disclosure
• Department of Health (DOH) Disciplinary Actions
• Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) Negative Actions
• Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
• Washington and other state court systems
• Washington State Patrol (WSP)
• Western Identification Network (WIN)
DSHS created BCCU in August 2000 with the consolidation of five smaller background check units that were operating in DSHS. Today BCCU is located within the Financial Services Administration, Operations Support and Services Division.
For questions about program requirements call your program representative, licenser, contractor, or social worker.