Medical and Dental
All children participating in the Adoption Support Program are eligible to receive medical and dental services through Medicaid.
- Families must first access existing private insurance.
- Medicaid can then be billed for any remaining costs up to the maximum allowable Medicaid rate.
Before initiating counseling services, authorization for the services must be requested by phone or in writing from your Adoption Support Specialist.
- You may use child's Medicaid card or counseling service of choice.
- Family's primary insurance must be applied first.
- Paid at Adoption Support rates.
Nonrecurring Adoption Costs
Nonrecurring costs are a onetime expense incurred by the adoptive parent to finalize the adoption of an eligible child.
- An application and agreement are made prior to the adoption being finalized. This agreement may be part of an Adoption Support agreement or it may be a separate agreement specific to the reimbursement for nonrecurring adoption finalization costs.
- Maximum reimbursable costs are $1500.00 per child.
- Payment is made after the adoption is finalized.
Types of costs that may be reimbursable:
- Court costs directly related to finalizing an adoption.
- Reasonable and necessary adoption fees.
- Reasonable and necessary attorney fees directly related to finalizing an adoption.
- Costs associated with an adoption home study.
- Training opportunities are available through the Foster Parent Training Unit and the Alliance for Child Welfare Excellence. Contact your adoption support program consultant for details.
Monthly Cash Payment
A cash payment provided to adoptive families to help cover some of the expenses involved in raising a child with special needs. The payment is:
- Based on the child's needs and family's circumstances.
- Jointly determined through the negotiation between the family and DSHS.
- For adoptions after July 1, 2013, the monthly cash payment must not exceed 80% of the amount of the foster care maintenance rate that the child would receive if the child were in a foster family home.