- Development occurs in stages related to age.
- These stages are sequential, they can not be skipped.
- Each stage of development has certain tasks associated with it that must be accomplished before moving to the next stage.
- There are five areas of development:
- A person can become "stuck" at a certain stage of development in one or more areas.
- Abuse and neglect can slow the developmental process.
The Child Development Guide can help you identify stages of development and effective parenting techniques to help your child's development.