Disability Determination Services
Who are we?
The Disability Determination Services (DDS) is an agency of the State of Washington. Under Social Security regulations, the DDS disability specialists, staff physicians, and psychologists determine eligibility of Washington applicants for three disability programs:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Non-Grant Medical Assistance (NGMA)
The Washington DDS has three branch offices located in Olympia, Seattle, and Spokane to serve disability applicants of Washington State. The DDS employs about 250 people and receives nearly 1700 new claims each week. The following claims are processed in the Washington DDS:
- Initial Applications
- Reconsiderations - 1st appeal of denial
- Continuing Disability Reviews - periodic reviews to determine if those who are on benefits still qualify.
- Disability Hearings - face to face informal hearing as part of the appeal of Continuing Disability Review cessation.
- DSHS Non-Grant Medical Assistance