What is benefits planning?
Benefits planning helps you understand the impact of work on your benefits
such as cash, medical, housing, personal care services, and food benefits.
A benefit specialist can help you explore and utilize work incentives and
develop a plan to transition to work.
Why is benefits planning important?
Benefits planning helps:
- Reduce uncertainty about how your benefits will be impacted when you work.
- Enhance your understanding of the impact of work on benefits and allow you to work to your potential instead of limiting earnings to keep benefits.
- Discover how Social Security work incentives and other programs can help pay for items and services you need to maintain employment.
- Explore healthcare options
How do I find a benefit specialist in my area to help me understand how working will affect my benefits?
There are two options.
DVR has benefits planning services as part of receiving services from DVR. Use the
benefit calculators to estimate how
wages from a job would impact your Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Work Incentive Planning & Assistance (WIPA) Projects are approved by SSA
to help you learn about Social Security work incentives, other employment support
programs, provide benefits planning services and evaluate what would be helpful
for you. The the WIPA in Washington State is:
Plan to Work (serves every county except King and Kitsap)
Statewide: toll-free at 1-866-497-9443 or TTY 1-877-846-0775
Some County Developmental Disabilities programs also offer benefits planning.
Check with your Case Manager at the Division of Developmental Disabilities
to find out if these services are available in your area.
Other useful websites