WAC 388-454-0005

Effective March 1, 2001

WAC 388-454-0005 Can I get TANF or SFA benefits for the child living with me?

  1. You can get temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) or state family assistance (SFA) for a child you live with if you are responsible for the care and control of the child and you are the child's:

    1. Parent or other relative as defined in WAC 388-454-0010

    2. Court-ordered guardian or court-ordered custodian; or

    3. Other adult acting in loco parentis (in the place of a parent).

  2. If a child lives with more than one relative or parent because the relatives share custody of the child:

    1. We include the child in the Assistance Unit (AU) of the parent or relative that the child lives with for the majority of the time; or

    2. If relatives share physical custody of the child in equal amounts, we include the child in the AU of the parent or relative that first applies for assistance for the child.

  3. If you or the child in your AU is temporarily absent from the home according to WAC 388-454-0015 and WAC 388-454-0020 you can still get TANF or SFA during the absence.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.