Chemical Dependency Treatment - ADATSA Food Assistance
DSHS Home Page
Search     for:

DSHS Home    Acronyms    Revisions    WAC Number Index    Site Map    WCCC

Chemical Dependency Treatment - ADATSA Food Assistance

Revised December 15, 2011

Purpose: This section explains the availability of food assistance for an individual eligible for ADATSA Treatment Services.

WAC 388-420-0010Alcohol and drug treatment centers.

WAC 388-420-0010

WAC 388-420-0010

Effective November 17, 2014

WAC 388-420-0010 Alcohol and drug treatment centers.

  1. Food assistance is only available to a resident of a drug and alcohol treatment center when the treatment center is administered by a public or private nonprofit agency.  In addition, the residential treatment center must be:

    1. Licensed by the Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (DBHR) as a behavioral health agency (see chapter 388-877 WAC); and 

    2. Certified by DBHR to provide chemical dependency residential treatment services (see WAC 388-877B-0200).

  2. A resident is considered a one person assistance unit. However if the resident's spouse or child is also living in the treatment center, the spouse or child is included in the resident's assistance unit.

  3. The resident must have a designated employee of the treatment center act as an authorized representative as specified in chapter 388-460 WAC.

  4. The authorized representative receives and uses the food assistance benefits for meals the resident is served in the treatment center.

  5. The authorized representative also has responsibilities as specified in chapter 388-460 WAC.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.



  1. The facility chooses the designated employee to act as the authorized representative. 

  2. See WAC 388-460-0010  for an explanation of what the facility must give residents (related to food assistance) when they leave the facility.

  3. The CSO has a list of state-certified non-profit treatment centers. Residents in these facilities may be eligible for food assistance.


ADATSA Treatment
  1. Maintain the case record in the originating office when placement is made outside of the catchment area.

  2. Consider the client's income as income.

  3. Consider the payment to the treatment facility as a vendor payment. Do not consider it as income to the client.

  4. Certify persons in outpatient treatment based on their living arrangements.


Clients in a chemical dependency treatment facility but not in an ADATSA contracted treatment bed may be eligible to receive food assistance; for example, a person receiving involuntary treatment or a pregnant woman receiving treatment.


See  Authorized Representative
Modification Date: December 15, 2011