Benefit Issuances - Replacement
DSHS Home Page
Search     for:

DSHS Home    Acronyms    Revisions    WAC Number Index    Site Map    WCCC

Benefit Issuances - Replacement

Revised September 13, 2013


WAC 388-412-0040Can I get my benefits replaced?

WAC 388-412-0040

WAC 388-412-0040

Effective October 14, 2011

WAC 388-412-0040 Can I get my benefits replaced?

Under certain conditions, we may replace your benefits.

1.    You may get your EBT cash and/or food assistance benefits replaced if:

a.        We make a mistake that causes you to lose benefits;

b.        The EBT card mailed to you is stolen from the mail; you never had the ability to use the benefits; and you lost benefits;

c.        You left a drug or alcohol treatment facility on or before the fifteenth of the month and the facility does not have enough food assistance benefits in their EBT account for one-half of the allotment that they owe you;

d.        Your EBT benefits that were recently deposited into an inactive EBT account were canceled by mistake; or

e     The food that your household purchased with food assistance benefits was destroyed in a household disaster or misfortune.

                             i.       For us to replace your benefits, you must report the loss to the department within ten days from the date of the loss.

                           ii.      We replace the amount of your loss, up to a one-month benefit amount.

2.    We will not replace your benefits if your loss is for a reason other than those listed in subsection (1) above if:

a.      We decided that your request is fraudulent;

b.      Your food assistance benefits were lost, stolen or misplaced after you received them;

c.      You already received two replacements for food destroyed in household disaster or misfortune within the last five months; or

d.      You received disaster supplemental nutrition assistance program (D-SNAP) benefits for the same month you requested a replacement for food assistance.

3.    EBT cards. It is your responsibility to keep track of your household's EBT card.

a.        If you have multiple EBT cards replaced, we may suspect you to be trafficking benefits as described under WAC 388-412-0046 (2)(d).

b     If we suspect trafficking, we will refer your case for investigation by the office of fraud and accountability. Persons trafficking in food assistance benefits may be subject to fines, disqualification from food assistance, and legal action including criminal prosecution.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.


1.  When a client reports the loss of EBT benefits:

a.    Review the client's EBT account to verify that benefits were issued;

b.    Determine if we can replace this type of loss;

c.    Access the EBT functions through the drop-down menus in BarCode AU/Cl Search or from the clients Electronic Case Record “ECR”.

·            Complete the new Authorize EBT Replacement screen as described in the EBT Manual at: Replace EBT Benefits to a Client. Once you complete the screen the EBT staff will work their end of the system and generate the new E002 tickler to inform you of the outcome.

·            Complete the Authorize EBT Recovery screen as described in the EBT Manual at: Recover Benefits from an EBT Account. Once you complete the screen the EBT staff will work their end of the system and generate the new E003 tickler to inform you of the outcome. 

The EBT “View Previous/Pending Actions” screen for the client displays these actions.

NOTE: Do not replace EBT benefits through ACES BEGS unless you are replacing food lost in a household disaster as described in Food destroyed in a household disaster or misfortune (4. below).

2.  Loss due to administrative error:

If the department makes an error that causes a loss of benefits to the client such as linking a Quest card to another client's account, we replace those lost benefits.

Follow the procedures in Replacing EBT Benefits (1. above).

EBT staff will take the steps necessary to replace the benefits and can help identify who incorrectly used the benefits.

3.  Replacement of Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for cash benefits:

When a client reports that he or she did not get a deposit of cash benefits in an account, tell the client to call the Direct Deposit Input Unit at 1-888-235-2954.

Do not take any further actions or replace the cash benefits unless the EFT Manager notifies you.

4.  Food destroyed in a household disaster or misfortune when the food was purchased with Basic Food benefits:  

A household disaster or misfortune includes events such as a house fire, long-term power outage, or other weather-related mishaps that was caused by reasons beyond the client's control.  For example, if a wind storm caused the client to lose power for several days, food benefits may be replaced in this situation.  However, if the client lost power for several days because he/she failed to pay the electricity bill, the client would not be eligible to have food benefits replaced.

Food replaced due to a household disaster or misfortune is different than the disaster food program because it does not require the federal government to declare a portion of the state as a disaster area before benefits can be replaced.

When a client requests replacement of food that was destroyed in a household disaster or misfortune:

a.      Determine if the client reported the loss timely;

b.      Verify the disaster or misfortune through a collateral contact such as the fire or police departments, utility companies, local media, the Red Cross, an insurance agent, or home visit;

c.      Replace the amount of food that was destroyed up to the amount of the household's monthly allotment. Use a reasonable estimate considering when the client received benefits, when the food was destroyed, and the day of the month of the disaster;

d.      Document the replacement in the case record.


We can only replace the value of the amount of food lost in a household disaster, up to the household's monthly allotment.

We do not replace food benefits more than the amount:

·         Lost in the household disaster; or

·         We originally issued to the household.

5.    Food destroyed in a federally declared disaster when the food was purchased with Basic Food benefits:



6.    Replacing out-of state food benefits:

a.    Verify that benefits were issued but not returned to the public assistance office in the other state.

b.    Ask the client to sign a statement that they did not receive the benefits. 

c.    Document the loss on the (Remarks) screen.

d.    Determine eligibility for Basic Food by using the regular procedures; and

e.    Inform the other state that benefits were issued in Washington and to cancel the benefits if they are returned.


See Issuances -  Replacement / Reissuance
Modification Date: September 13, 2013