Basic Food Work Requirements - Exemptions
DSHS Home Page
Search     for:

DSHS Home    Acronyms    Revisions    WAC Number Index    Site Map    WCCC

Basic Food Work Requirements - Exemptions

Revised March 25, 2011


WAC 388-444-0010Who is exempt from work registration while receiving Basic Food?

WAC 388-444-0010

WAC 388-444-0010

Effective October 1, 2010

WAC 388-444-0010 Who is exempt from work registration while receiving Basic Food?

If you receive Basic Food, you are exempt from work requirements in Chapter 388-444 WAC if you meet any of the following conditions:


1)    You are age sixteen or seventeen, not the head-of-household, and:


a.     Attend school such as high school or GED programs; or


b.    Are enrolled at least half time (using the institutions definition) in an employment and training program under:


                                          i.    The Workforce Investment Act (WIA);


                                        ii.    Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974; or


                                       iii.     Another state or local employment and training program.


2)    You are a student age eighteen or older enrolled at least half time as defined by the institution in:


a.     Any accredited school;


b.     A training program; or


c.    An institution of higher education. If you are enrolled in higher education, you must meet the requirements under WAC 388-482-0005 to be eligible for Basic Food benefits.


3)    You are an employed or self-employed person working thirty hours or more per week, or receiving weekly earnings equal to the federal minimum wage multiplied by thirty.


4)    You are complying with the work requirements of an employment and training program under temporary assistance for needy families (TANF);


5)     You receive unemployment compensation (UC) benefits or have an application pending for UC benefits;


6)    You are responsible to care for:


a.    A dependent child under age six; or


b.    Someone who is incapacitated.


7)    We determine that you are physically or mentally unable to work; or


8)    You regularly participate in a drug addiction or alcoholic treatment and rehabilitation program.


This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.


  1. We apply and code personal exemptions (such as child under six, etc.) in all areas of the state.  There is no geographic or regional exemption for Basic Food work registration.
  2. If someone participates in methadone treatment, we do not consider this to be regularly participating in drug treatment and rehabilitation.  Methadone treatment is meant to help the patient carry on with everyday activities such as working without relying on illegal drugs and without withdrawal symptoms that could prevent them from working. 
  3. We must register non-exempt persons who receive state-funded FAP benefits even though they cannot receive federally- funded E&T services.


1.    Screen for work registration status:

a.    Determine the client's exempt or non-exempt status for work registration. See WAC 388-444-0010; and

b.    Code work exemption information on the WORK screen for every person age 16 and over.

c.    Register non-exempt clients for work at the initial application and at recertification as described in the ACES Procedures - Work Registration.


2.    Volunteering for BF E&T Services:

All clients who receive federally-funded Basic Food (SNAP) benefits may volunteer for E&T services. As a volunteer they may:

a.    Receive supportive services (see Basic Food Work Requirements Section D - BF E&T Payments for Related Expenses); and

b.    Not be disqualified for not cooperating with the program.


3.    Verifying a Personal Exemption

a.    Accept a client's statement of employment status or job availability unless the information is questionable.

b.    To verify questionable information have the client provide:

                              i.        Evidence of the claimed exemption; or

                            ii.        The name and contact information of an acceptable collateral source who can be contacted for further verification.

c.    If a client claims to be physically or mentally unable to work and the client's statement is questionable, verify the claim by:

                              i.        Proof of permanent disability benefits issued by a public or private source; or

                            ii.        A statement from a qualified professional or their staff.

d.    For self-employment the client must provide records to show the hours worked.


Modification Date: March 25, 2011