WAC 388-273-0020

Effective November 1, 2011

WAC 388-273-0020 Who may receive Washington Telephone Assistance Program (WTAP)?

  1. To receive WTAP benefits, you must:
    1. Be age eighteen or older or, if under eighteen, be the responsible head of household, and either;
    2. Be receiving one of the following programs from us:
      1. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF);
      2. State Family Assistance (SFA);
      3. Pregnant Women Assistance (PWA);
      4. Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash assistance;
      5. Refugee assistance;
      6. Food assistance;
      7. State Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
      8. Medical assistance, including Medicare cost sharing programs;
      9. Community Options Program Entry System (COPES);
      10. Chore services; or
    3. Have completed using community service voice mail services, and been identified to the department as eligible for WTAP by the community agency that provided your community service voice mail program; and
  2. Apply to a local exchange company for WTAP and request the lowest available flat rate telephone service at the WTAP rate.  In exchange areas where wireline service is not available without service extension, you may apply to a wireless carrier:
    1. "Local exchange company" means a telephone company that is required by the Washington utilities and transportation commission to offer WTAP benefits and offers local calling, i.e., calling without long distance charges.
    2. "Flat rate service" is telephone service with a single monthly payment that allows unlimited local calling for a specified length of time.  The local exchange flat rate includes any federal end user access charges and other charges necessary to obtain the service; and
  3. You must have the local telephone service billed in your name.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.