WAC 388-400-0070

Effective January 1, 2014

WAC 388-400-0070 Who is eligible for referral to the Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) program?

(1) You are eligible for referral to the housing and essential needs (HEN) program if you:

(a) Apply for cash assistance as detailed in WAC 388-406-0010;

(b) Complete an interview with the department;

(c) Are incapacitated as defined in WAC 388-447-0001 through 388-447-0100;

(d) Are at least eighteen years old or, if under eighteen, legally emancipated or a member of a married couple;

(e) Are in financial need according to income rules in chapter 388-450 WAC and resource requirements in RCW 74.04.005 and chapter 388-470 WAC. We determine who is in your assistance unit according to WAC 388-408-0070;

(f) Have countable income, as defined in WAC 388-450-0162, at or below the monthly income limits defined in WAC 388-478-0090;

(g) Meet the citizenship/alien status requirement for ABD cash assistance under WAC 388-424-0015;

(h) Meet the Social Security number verification requirement for cash assistance under WAC 388-476-0005;

(i)Meet the residency requirement for cash assistance under WAC 388-468-0005;

(j) Meet verification requirements for cash assistance detailed in WAC 388-490-0005.

(k) To remain eligible for HEN referral, you must also:

(i) Report changes in your circumstances as required for cash assistance under WAC 388-418-0007; and

(ii) Complete and return eligibility reviews we send you under WAC 388-434-0005.

(2) You are not eligible for referral to the HEN program if you:

(a) Are eligible for the aged, blind, or disabled (ABD) cash assistance program;

(b) Are eligible for the pregnant women assistance (PWA) program;

(c) Are eligible for temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) program;

(d) Refuse or fail to meet a TANF rule without good cause;

(e) Refuse or fail to cooperate in obtaining federal aid assis-tance, including but not limited to medicaid, without good cause;

(f) Refuse or fail to participate in drug or alcohol treatment as required in WAC 388-447-0120;

(g) Are eligible for supplemental security income (SSI) benefits and receiving a state supplemental payment (SSP) under WAC 388-474-0012;

(h) Are an ineligible spouse of an SSI recipient;

(i) Refuse or fail to follow a social security administration (SSA) program rule or application requirement without good cause and SSA denied or terminated your benefits;

(j) Are terminated from ABD for refusing or failing to sign an interim assistance reimbursement authorization agreement under WAC 388-400-0060; or

(k) Are fleeing to avoid prosecution of, or to avoid custody or confinement for conviction of, a felony, or an attempt to commit a felony as described in WAC 388-442-0010.

(l) Are disqualified from receiving cash assistance due to a conviction related to unlawful practices in obtaining cash assistance as described in WAC 388-446-0005.

(3) If you reside in a public institution and meet all other requirements, your eligibility for referral to the HEN program depends on the type of institution. A "public institution" is an institution that is supported by public funds, and a governmental unit either is responsible for it or exercises administrative control over it.

(a) You may be eligible for referral to the HEN program if you are:

(i) A patient in a public medical institution; or

(ii) A patient in a public mental institution and are sixty-five years of age or older.

(b) You aren't eligible for referral to the HEN program if you are in the custody of or confined in a public institution such as a state penitentiary or county jail, including placement:

(i) In a work release program; or

(ii) Outside of the institution including home detention.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.