WAC 388-406-0005

Effective January 1, 2014

WAC 388-406-0005 Can I apply for cash or Basic Food?

1.    You can apply for any benefit the department offers, including cash assistance or Basic Food. 

2.    You must meet certain eligibility requirements in order to receive a program benefit.

3.    You can apply for someone else if you are:

a.    A legal guardian, caretaker, or authorized representative applying for:

                                                      i.        A dependent child;

                                                    ii.        An incapacitated person; or

                                                   iii.        Someone who is deceased.

b.    Applying for someone who cannot apply for some other reason.  We may ask why the applicant is unable to apply on their own behalf.

4.    A person or agency may apply for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash for you if:

a.    You temporarily live out-of-state; and

b.    You are a Washington state resident.

5.    When you are confined or incarcerated in a Washington State public institution, you may apply for cash if you meet the following criteria:

a.    You are confined by or in the following public institutions:

                                                      i.        Department of Corrections;

                                                    ii.        City or county jail; or

                                                   iii.        Institution for Mental Diseases (IMD).

b.    Staff at the public institution provide medical records including diagnosis by a mental health professional that you have a mental disorder (as defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders, most recent edition) that affects your thoughts, mood or behavior so severely that it prevents you from performing any kind of work.


This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.