WAC 388-450-0106

Effective October 1, 2013

WAC 388-450-0106 How does the department count my income if someone in my family cannot get assistance because of their alien status?

This section applies to TANF/SFA and RCA. 

If you are included in the assistance unit and you are financially responsible for someone, as defined in WAC 388-450-0100 who does not meet the alien requirements described in WAC 388-424-0010, we do not count all of your income. We subtract some of it so that you can use that part to help support the people who cannot get assistance. To figure out how much we count, we take the following seven steps:

  1. We start by only counting fifty percent of your earned income, as defined in WAC 388-450-0030;

  2. We add all of your unearned income, as defined in WAC 388-450-0025

  3. We subtract the difference between the following payment standards (payment standards can be found in WAC 388-478-0020):

    1. One that includes both eligible assistance unit members and those who cannot get assistance because of their alien status; and

    2. One that includes only the eligible assistance unit members.

  4. We subtract the payment standard for the number of people who are ineligible for reasons other than alien status, as defined in WAC 388-450-0100 (4)(b) through (f).

  5. We subtract any court or administratively ordered child support you pay for legal dependents. This includes both current and back support. The amount cannot be more than the need standard in WAC 388-478-0015 for the number of dependents.

  6. We subtract any employment-related child care expenses you have.

  7. Then, we count whatever is left as unearned income.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.