WAC 388-450-0116

Effective October 1, 2013

WAC 388-450-0116 How does the department count my income if I cannot get assistance because I am an alien ?

This section applies to TANF / SFA and RCA.

Some people cannot get assistance because they do not meet the alien requirements described in WAC 388-424-0010. If you do not meet those requirements but you are financially responsible for someone in the assistance unit, as defined in WAC 388-450-0100, we count some of your income as part of the assistance unit's income. To figure out how much we count, we take the following seven steps:

  1. We start by only counting fifty percent of your earned income, as described in WAC 388-450-0030.

  2. We add all of your unearned income, as described in WAC 388-450-0025

  3. We subtract the difference between the following payment standards:

    1. One that includes both eligible assistance unit members and those who cannot get assistance because of their alien status; and

    2. One that includes only the eligible assistance unit members.

  4. We subtract the payment standard for the number of people who are ineligible for reasons other than alien status, as defined in WAC 388-450-0100 (4)(b) through (f) .

  5. We subtract any court or administratively ordered child support you pay for legal dependents.  This includes both current and back support. The amount cannot be more than the need standard in WAC 388-478-0005 for the number of dependents.

  6. We subtract any employment-related childcare expenses you have.

  7. Then, we count whatever is left as unearned income.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.