WAC 388-454-0010

Effective March 8, 2004

WAC 388-454-0010 Do I have to be related to a child in order to get TANF or SFA for the child?

To get TANF or SFA, a child must live with a parent, other relative, court-ordered guardian, court-ordered custodian, or other adult acting in loco parentis.

  1. We consider the following people as parents for TANF and SFA: 

    1. The child's natural or adoptive parent; or

    2. A stepparent who is legally obligated to support the child.

  2. We consider a man as a child's natural father if the relationship is:

    1. Made under a judgment or order under RCW 26.26.130 that set the relationship between the parent and child; or

    2. Presumed under the Uniform Parentage Act (chapter 26.26 RCW).

  3. When a child lives with a relative, the relative must be one of the following relationships to the child in order for that child to be eligible for TANF or SFA:

    1. The following blood relatives (including relatives of half blood) or their spouses: Siblings, first cousins (including first cousins once removed), nephews and nieces, and persons of earlier generations (including aunts, uncles and grandparents) as shown by the prefixes of great, great-great, or great-great-great;

    2. A natural parent whose parental rights were terminated by a court order;

    3. A stepparent who no longer has to support the child because:

      1. The child's natural or adoptive parent died; or

      2. Divorce or dissolution ended the marriage between the stepparent and the child's natural or adoptive parent.

    4. A step sibling even if the marriage between the step sibling's parent and the child's natural or adoptive parent ended by death, divorce or dissolution.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.