TRS – Video Relay Service (VRS) and Internet-Protocol Relay (IP-Relay)
Video Relay Service (VRS), is an exciting new supplement to the traditional telecommunication relay service. This service provides American Sign Language (ASL) users with an attractive alternative that offers them the opportunity to communicate by video conferencing, using their native language, which may be preferred over the traditional telecommunication relay service. Benefits of using VRS:
- Enable the ASL user to communicate in his/her native language.
- Vastly increased communication speed.
- Enhance communication, with use of facial expression and body language cues.
- Remove communication barriers for slow typists and/or exclusive ASL users.
- Able to make interruptions.
- Able to work efficiently with automated telephone transfer systems.
- Provide functional equivalency of making phone calls.
TRS - Internet Protocol (IP) Relay
Internet protocol (IP) based relay service is available from several IP Relay providers using your computer or mobile device connected to the internet to access IP Relay services. Some IP Relay services are also available on AOL Instant Messaging (AIM).
Benefits of using IP Relay:
- You can access IP Relay Services from work, home, libraries, online cafes and anywhere with computer/internet access. There is no need for specialized telecommunications equipment.
- No long distance charges for making calls. In other words, all calls are FREE! No international calls are allowed.
- You can make calls with full confidentiality. There are security measures to ensure that all of your calls are made in complete privacy.
- You have the freedom to customize the look and feel of your call, with several options and capabilities:
- split screen
- language preferences (English or Spanish)
- text size
- text color
- background color
- emotion icons
- dialing instructions
- print and save options
- You can make two-line VCO calls with IP Relay Services! How does it work?
- Put in your home number for the relay operator to call back to you. Your phone line must have a three-way conference calling capability.
- Upon receiving the call from the relay operator, connect your outbound party.
- The relay operator will type on your internet browser screen, while your outbound party is speaking.
- Works with dial-up connections! You do not need a high speed internet access (e.g. DSL or cable modem) to use IP Relay Services.
Relay Service Providers List
To view a list with contact information of approved Telecommunication Relay Service (TRS), Video Relay Services (VRS) & internet-based providers certified by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Internet Protocol Relay Fraud
Washington Relay offers information how businesses can protect themselves from fraudulent activities by scammers who take advantage of internet protocol (IP) relay services. For more information about IP Relay Fraud.
Disclaimer: Internet-based relay services including VRS and IP-Relay are not administered or funded by the Washington State DSHS / ODHH. The Federal Communication Commission provides oversight and funding.