Cash, Food & Medical Assistance
Various federal and state programs are available within Washington State to help refugees and immigrants with cash, food, and medical assistance.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides temporary cash and medical help for families in need. Refugees and Immigrants may be eligible for TANF if they meet program criteria.
- The Washington Basic Food Program, formerly known as Food Stamps, is Washington State’s version of the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP provides food assistance for low-income individuals and families.
- The federal Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program provides cash assistance to refugees without children during their first eight months in the U.S.
- Refugee Medical Assistance (RMA) provides medical services for up to eight months.
- Apple Health is the federal Medicaid program, administered by the Washington State Health Care Authority.