DSHS Strategic Plan - 2011-2013
Safe, healthy individuals, families, and communities
The Department of Social and Health Services will improve the safety and health of individuals, families and communities by providing leadership and establishing and participating in partnerships.
DSHS Strategic Goals, Objectives and Key Initiatives
By click on an Administration name below will take you to the section of their Business Plan that aligns with the DSHS Goal and Objective.
Improve individuals' readiness and ability to succeed in school
- Reduce the achievement gap for our vulnerable populations.
- Work in partnership with educational systems, educational advocates and other state agencies to foster student educational readiness.
- Promote stable living situations for children and youth to improve educational success.
Key DSHS Initiatives
- Partner with communities to reduce youth violence by contracting with street level, community-based organizations to rally communities to stop youth violence and gang involvement.
- Partner with OSPI to redesign substance abuse prevention system to achieve community-level change in substance abuse risk and protective factors and reduce alcohol and drug prevalence rates in targeted communities.
- Improve youth educational performance in JRA facilities and help youth transition to community schools and vocational programs.
- Increase the stability of children in care, recognizing that the continuity of placement with a caring adult provides the child with a supportive relationship and stable school experience needed to succeed in school.