Interpreter Services

Behavioral Health Organizations (BHOs) provide interpreter services for:

  • All Medicaid-funded mental health and substance use disorder services, except for:
    • Residents of Clark and Skamania Counties
    • American Indians and Alaska Natives seeking treatment for substance use disorders
  • Click here for BHO contacts

The state Health Care Authority provides interpreter services for:

  • Residents of Clark and Skamania Counties.
  • To request interpreter services in these two counties, see page two of this document: Fully Integrated Managed Care Contacts.    
  • American Indians and Alaska Natives enrolled in Fee-For-Service who are participating in Medicaid-funded treatment services for substance use disorders (including assessments, outpatient and inpatient treatment).  
  • Parents or guardians of American Indian or Alaska Native minors receiving state-funded services for substance use disorders, when the treatment plan requires them to be present.
  • In-house Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings, while in residential treatment, if the meetings are required by the patient's treatment plan.
  • Anyone attending a state-sponsored event, such as statewide conferences and public meetings.
  • To request interpreter services, visit the Health Care Authority’s Interpreter Services web page.

When are translation services not paid for by the state?

  • For Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotic Anonymous meetings that are not required by the patient's treatment plan or are not in-house.
  • For forms specific to treatment agencies.
  • For residential treatment, interpreters are not covered during meals, sporting activities, or free-time.
  • For prevention services such as domestic violence classes, parenting classes and community outreach programs.
  • For long-term training activities funded through a county.