Chemical Dependency Treatment via ALTSA and Food Assistance


This section explains the availability of food assistance for an individual eligible for ALTSA Treatment Services.

WAC 388-420-010 Alcohol and drug treatment centers.

Clarifying Information - WAC 388-420-010

  1. The facility chooses the designated employee to act as the authorized representative. 
  2. See WAC 388-460-0010  for an explanation of what the facility must give residents (related to food assistance) when they leave the facility.
  3. The CSO has a list of state-certified non-profit treatment centers. Residents in these facilities may be eligible for food assistance.

Worker Responsibilities - WAC 388-420-010

    ALTSA Treatment

  1. Maintain the case record in the originating office when placement is made outside of the catchment area.
  2. Consider the client's income as income.
  3. Consider the payment to the treatment facility as a vendor payment. Do not consider it as income to the client.
  4. Certify persons in outpatient treatment based on their living arrangements.


Clients placed in a chemical dependency treatment facility but not in an ALTSA contracted treatment bed may be eligible to receive food assistance. For example, a person receiving involuntary treatment or a pregnant woman receiving treatment.

ACES Procedures

See  Authorized Representative