Who is Required to Report Child Abuse and Neglect?

Thank you for visiting our website. Children’s Administration is now part of the Department of Children, Youth, and Families. Content that previously was bookmarked on this page is now available at dcyf.wa.gov. While some former Children’s Administration content is available at dshs.wa.gov, that information is now outdated. Please visit dcyf.wa.gov for the most current information. Thank you for your understanding.

Any person who has cause to believe that a child has suffered abuse or neglect should report such incidents.

Those people legally required to report child abuse or neglect are:

  • Medical practitioners
  • Nurses
  • Dentists
  • Social service counselors/therapists
  • Psychologists
  • Medical examiners
  • Pharmacists
  • School personnel
  • Child care providers
  • Law enforcement officers
  • Juvenile probation officers
  • Corrections employees
  • DSHS employees
  • Placement and liaison specialists
  • Responsible living skills program staff
  • HOPE center staff
  • State family and children's ombudsman
  • Any volunteer in the ombudsman's office
  • Adults residing with child suspected to have been severely abused