Other Child Care Resources

Created on: 
Feb 04 2016

Table of Contents 

Related WACs

DCYF Clarifying Information (published February 1, 2017)

WAC 110-15-0005

WCCC and Children’s Administration (CA)

WCCC and CA Child Care are two different programs and families may be eligible for both at the same time, depending on the family’s specific circumstances, eligibility and activities. When both WCCC and CA child care is authorized for the same family, the WCCC child care hours must not be same as the CA child care hours.

What is Child Care Aware Resource and Referral?

Child Care Aware of Washington (CCA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that every child in Washington has access to high-quality child care and early learning programs. CCA contracts with Department of Early Learning to provide services for families seeking chid care.  CCA connects families to licensed child care programs through their Family Center. This assistance is provided for free and there is no eligibility criteria. Families can reach CCA online at http://wa.childcareaware.org/families or by phone at 1-800-446-1114.

CCA also works with DEL to administer Early Achievers, Washington’s child care quality rating and improvement system, that delivers training and professional development opportunities to licensed child care providers around the state. Early Achievers delivers research-based, culturally-responsive best practices to providers so they can offer care that improves the lives of children and families and helps close the opportunity gap.


What is Homeless Child Care?

Homeless Child Care provides temporary care for families who are homeless and not receiving other subsidized child care.

Parents can receive care for their children while they seek permanent housing, employment, or take care of personal business such as legal, medical, or financial appointments.

Local contracted community agencies authorize this type of child care. For information about accessing, call Washington Child Care Resource and Referral at 1-800-446-1114 or visit http://www.childcarenet.org/

What is the Children’s Administration Child Care Program?

The Children’s Administration (CA) child care program pays for child care to support children and families who have an open case with CA. The social worker and family together determine whether enrollment in a child care program promotes the safety, permanency, and well-being of the child. Child care services are available to children in foster care, relative care, and other situations where child care is a part of their CA case plan.

The Child Care Subsidy Program and Children’s Administration Child Care are two different programs. Families may be eligible for both programs at the same time, depending on the family’s specific circumstances and activities. If a family meets the eligibility criteria for the Subsidy Program they should be approved regardless of their involvement with Children’s Administration.

A family may receive child care from both Child Care Subsidy Program and Children’s Administration Child Care, depending on their individual needs. A working family may qualify for child care through the Subsidy Program but may also need child care for parenting classes, counseling or other activity to strengthen their ability to provide a safe and loving home for their children.  A WorkFirst Case Manager can approve those activities for TANF clients as part of the Individual Responsibility Plan.  For non-TANF families, these activities are not approved for Child Care Subsidy. The Subsidy Program can pay for the childcare needed for employment, and Children’s Administration can pay for the child care needed to complete their family service/care plan. When care for both programs is authorized for the same family, the hours may not overlap with one another. Subsidy Program Lead Workers have access to FamLink and can verify that duplicate services aren’t being authorized.

A family who doesn’t meet Subsidy Program eligibility criteria but has a need for child care may be eligible for short-term services through the Children’s Administration. For example; a parent may have two children, one of whom is hospitalized. The parent needs to be with the hospitalized child and needs help in assessing the options available for other children in the home, which could include short term child care. To access these services, a family can make a referral to the Children’s Administration and ask for help through voluntary services.

Child Protective Services authorizes child care on a short term basis as part of a case plan related to ensuring the safety of a child. Child and Family Services social service staff authorize child care on a short term basis as part of the case plan to assist with reunification. Employed foster parents, relative and non-relative kin placements are eligible for child care services to assist in ensuring placement stability.

If a case has been denied by the Children’s Administration and the family doesn’t meet Subsidy Program eligibility criteria, the case may be referred to a Subsidy Program supervisor or lead worker for review. 

For more information about the Children’s Administration child care program, families should call their Division of Children and Family Services social worker.

What is a Crisis Nursery?

A Crisis Nursery is for families who are in crisis and need emergency child care for children ages 6 years and younger. Some sites offer child care on a 24-hour basis. All clients are self-referred. Program goals are to prevent child abuse and neglect. Local agencies provide the service, and the agencies change periodically. At the time of this manual update, services are available at

  • Childhaven, serving Seattle and King County -206-624-6477
  • Margie's Crisis Nursery, serving Mason, Grays Harbor, Thurston Counties 360-786-8907
  • EPIC Crisis Nursery - Yakima – 509-249-9102
  • Crisis Nursery at the Children's Advocacy Center of Grays Harbor County
  • Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery in Spokane – 509-535-3155
  • Safe Harbor, serving the Tri-Cities area – 509-374-4902
  • Innovative Services NW, serving Vancouver and Clark County

For information about access to crisis care, contact any of the above programs directly.

What services are offered through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation?

DVR may pay for child care for the children of individuals with disabilities who seek vocational rehabilitation services to get or keep a job or to advance in employment. Certain rules and restrictions apply.

For more information about DVR services, go to DVR or call toll free 1-800-637-5627 (V/TTY).

What services are offered through the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP)?

Three- and four-year old children and their families with incomes up to 110% of the Federal Poverty Level, or who who have developmental or environmental risk factors that could interfere with school success, are potentially eligible for ECEAP.   ECEAP prepares children for success in the public school system through comprehensive integrated services, including early childhood education, health and dental screenings, nutrition, parent involvement in the child's education, and family support services and referrals. ECEAP contractors determine eligibility. Visit ECEAP for more information.

What is Head Start?

Head Start and Early Head Start are high-quality early learning programs that aim to ensure that the most vulnerable children in Washington enter kindergarten healthy and ready to succeed. They provide free, comprehensive early learning, health and family services to children and their families who are low-income or who face circumstances that make it difficult for them to be ready for school. Early Head Start also provides services to low-income pregnant women. Together these programs are a vital part of the early learning system in Washington.