What it is:
Healthcare for Workers with Disabilities (HWD) allows people with disabilities who are working to purchase medical coverage by paying a monthly premium that is based on their income.
Who is eligible:
- Are age 16 through 64
- Meet federal disability requirements
- Are employed (including self-employment) full or part time
- Has monthly income that does not exceed 220% of the federal poverty level
Apple Health income and resource standards including Healthcare for Workers with Disabilities (HWD) is located: http://www.hca.wa.gov/assets/free-or-low-cost/incomestandards.pdf
There is no resource test for HWD.
HWD benefits include:
- Medicaid benefit package, including Medicaid personal care services
- Greater personal and financial independence
- Members can earn and save more without the risk of losing their healthcare coverage
What does it cost?
Your monthly premium is based on a sliding scale. It cannot be more than 7.5% of your total monthly income –and may be less. If you have been afraid to pursue your career goals because doing so might disqualify you from needed healthcare, this program may be perfect for you.
For more information visit the Apple Health (Medicaid) Manual for HWD http://www.hca.wa.gov/free-or-low-cost-health-care/program-administration/apple-health-workers-disabilities
How to apply:
Online at www.washingtonconnection.org through Washington Connections ; or
Mail an Application for Long-Term Care/Aged, Blind, Disabled Coverage (HCA 18-005) to:
Home & Community Services
PO BOX 45826
Olympia, WA 98504-5826
For more information call toll-free 1-800-871-9275, or in Seattle call 1-206-272-2169.
If you are applying for other programs in addition to HWD, such as Food Assistance or Cash, please apply at your local office or apply online through Washington Connection.