Housing and Essential Needs

The Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) Referral program provides access to essential needs items and potential housing assistance for low-income adults who are unable to work for at least 90 days due to a physical or mental incapacity and are ineligible for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash assistance. 

Eligibility for a referral to the HEN program is determined by DSHS.  Eligibility for HEN housing assistance is determined by the Department of Commerce through a network of homeless and homeless prevention service providers.

HEN assistance may include:

  • Limited rent and utilities.
  • Personal health and hygiene items.
  • Cleaning supplies.
  • Transportation.

For more information and a list of local Housing and Essential Needs service providers,  please visit: https://deptofcommerce.app.box.com/s/8nt4mgmr3izkj9juizisji9w6igdgjd6

Persons, who are not Federally Qualified for MAGI medical programs may qualify for health care through the Medical Care Services (MCS) program, when eligible for the ABD or HEN Referral programs.  Please refer to the Apple Health (Medicaid) Manual for MCS program summary information.