Can I pay the $25 fee by sending the Division of Child Support a check?

No, DCS is unable to accept your check for payment of the fee. State law requires the $25 fee to be deducted directly from your child support after the first $500 has been disbursed to you in the federal fiscal year (October 1st through September 30th).


Beginning October 1, 2007, federal law provides that certain child support cases are subject to a $25 fee each year. Washington law provides that this fee will be paid by the custodial parent. The $25 fee will be withheld from child support payments that are made on the case, but only after $500 in child support has been disbursed to the family between October 1 and September 30 (the federal fiscal year), and only if the custodial parent has never received TANF, Tribal TANF or AFDC on behalf of a child.

If you have questions, or would like additional information about the $25 fee please refer to the following links, or call the KIDS general information line at 1-800-442-KIDS.