The Language Testing and Certification Program (LTC) provides bilingual certification and testing services to ensure quality services to the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) Limited English Proficient (LEP) populations.
LTC provides the following services:
- Develops systems, methods, procedures and policies to certify DSHS bilingual employees, applicants for DSHS bilingual positions, contracted interpreters and translators, and licensed agency personnel.
- Sets and maintains qualification standards for DSHS bilingual positions, interpreters, and translators across languages.
- Administers language proficiency testing to certify/authorize DSHS bilingual employees, applicants for bilingual positions, contracted interpreters, contracted translators, and licensed agency personnel.
- Provides consultation to the department in establishing DSHS policies regarding the quality of language services to LEP clients.
- Manages the roster of certified interpreters and translators; manage the roster of authorized interpreters.
State laws (RCW 41.56.030, 41.56.113, 41.04.810, 43.01.047, and 74.04.025) requiring the department to provide language services to its LEP clients and to certify and authorize its language access providers were each amended and enacted during the 2010 legislative session.