After Adoption Finalization

Thank you for visiting our website. Children’s Administration is now part of the Department of Children, Youth, and Families. Content that previously was bookmarked on this page is now available at While some former Children’s Administration content is available at, that information is now outdated. Please visit for the most current information. Thank you for your understanding.

What do I need to do once the adoption is finalized?

Once the adoption has been finalized, take a copy of your child’s new birth certificate and a copy of the adoption decree to the Social Security Administration so that the parenting information can be updated.  You will be sent a new social security card for your child with the adopted name.  If the child does not have a name change on the social security card, it is important that the parent information be updated with the Social Security Administration. 

When the new number is received or the parents are notified that the information is updated, the parent should contact Washington Apple Health at 1-800-562-3022 to inform them of the updated social security information.