If I am asked to fill out a declaration will I have to go to court?

When DSHS is petitioning for the appointment of a guardian, objecting to a guardian’s fees or is asking the court to remove or modify a guardianship, the social worker/APS worker will usually be asked to describe the circumstances of the case and make recommendations to the court. This is called a declaration. In consultation with the Assistant Attorney General, you will be asked to address certain issues and state the facts and your first hand impressions truthfully in a narrative form. This is submitted to the AAG who prepares the legal document we will submit for your signature, under penalty of perjury. Case managers who have made a declaration are asked to attend the court hearing. They need to be available to answer any questions the Judge may have, but are rarely asked to add anything beyond their written submissions.