What should I do if i want a court to set my child support order?

All parties to the case have the right to file a petition in a state court or a tribal court (if eligible). The parties may do so at any time. If you file a petition in a court, you must serve notice of the action on the Prosecuting Attorney's office in the county where you file and on the other party to your child support case. You also must tell DCS of your action.

  • Proceeding in a court does not stop the notice from becoming a final order unless you get a court order that stops the DCS action.
  • Even if you want a court to set your support amount, you should still request a hearing on this notice within the required time limit.

If you still have questions, contact your support enforcement officer at the phone number listed on the last page of the notice you received. If you are not sure which office handles your case, call the KIDS line at 1-800-442-KIDS (5437).