Do I need the Home Care Aide certification?

Yes, you will have to be Home Care Aide Certified UNLESS you meet one of the following exemptions:

  • RNs, LPNs, and certified nursing assistants (NA- C/CNA) or persons in an approved CNA training program;
  • Medicare certified home health aides;
  • Person with special education training and an endorsement granted by the Superintendent of Public Instruction; or
  • Employed as a LTC worker sometime between 1/1/2011 and 1/6/2012 AND who completed the training requirements in effect at the time.  Must have proof of that employment meeting the requirements of DOH WAC 246-980-070.

If you do not meet one of those exemptions, you must complete the seventy-five hour orientation, safety, and basic training requirements, take the home care aide certification examination, and receive certification from the Department of Health prior to applying for an adult family home license. Find an approved training program here.

Page Topic: 
AFH Prospective Providers