What if I am the custodian and I received TANF, Tribal TANF or AFDC in the past?

The Division of Child Support will know if you have received TANF or AFDC through Washington State. However, if you have received TANF, Tribal TANF, or AFDC in another state or tribal jurisdiction you must let us know or the fee may be charged for your case. You may submit proof of past public assistance by submitting certified public assistance records from that other state or tribal agency, or a letter confirming receipt of public assistance on that agency's letterhead. Please enclose DCS Form 18-686 with your proof.


Beginning October 1, 2019, the annual fee for services increases from $25 to $35. Washington law provides that the custodial parent pays this fee. The $35 fee will be withheld from child support payments that are made on the case, but only after $550 in child support has been disbursed to the family between October 1 and September 30 (the federal fiscal year), and only if the custodial parent has never received TANF, Tribal TANF or AFDC on behalf of a child.

If you have questions, or would like additional information about the $35 fee please refer to the following links, or call the KIDS general information line at 1-800-442-KIDS.