Frequent Asked Questions

Talking with other relatives raising children can be a tremendous source of information and support. Find a support group.

What is the Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing?

ODHH functions as a subject matter expert and works in the cooperation with Department of Enterprise Services to oversee this Sign Language Interpreter Services Contract. ODHH also collects data on fill rates.

Where do I find the Online Interpreter Request form?
How do I request an Interpreter?

In order to request an interpreter, you must set up an account. You can set up your account and submit your request at the same time. 

Can I request an interpreter last minute?

Yes. However, it is best to request an interpreter in advance to ensure adequate language matching.

How do I know if the interpreter is qualified?

All of the Sign Language Interpreters are Certified Interpreters either through RID or have obtained BEI credentials. The contractors are responsible to ensure that interpreter is a good fit for the assignment. 

What if the Contractor cannot provide a Sign Language ASL Interpreter?

If the contractor is unable to fill your request, they will communicate with you. You may choose another contractor, or go off contract. In some situations, you might want to work with the Interpreter for a fixed date and time.

How do I find an interpreter on own?

You can review Certified Interpreters in Washington on the RID website. You can also reach out to agencies who are not contracted  with the state. It is strongly recommended that you hire a Certified Sign Language Interpreter. ODHH recommends that you try at least three contractors before going "off contract".