Residential Services

DDA supports and provides a variety of residential options for individuals based on their interest, needs, preferences, and eligibility.  Our objective is to provide supports to individuals in the most appropriate, least restrictive living situations.  That means preferred living situations are in a community setting with families, relatives, or a person’s own home.  When an individual needs more support, other options are considered.

Residential programs and services that may be available to DDA clients include:

Adult Family Homes

Adult Family Homes are regular neighborhood homes where staff assumes responsibility for the safety and well-being of the adult. A room, meals, laundry, supervision and varying levels of assistance with care are provided. Some provide occasional nursing care. Some offer specialized care for people with mental health issues, developmental disabilities or dementia. The home can have two to six residents and is licensed by the state.  Find an Adult Family Home in your area .

Alternative Living Services

Alternative Living Services are instructional services provided by an individual contractor. The service focuses on community-based individualized training to enable a client to live as independently as possible with minimal residential services.

Community Protection Program

The DDA Community Protection Program provides intensive 24-hour supervision for clients who have a history of violent behavior and have been identified as posing a risk to their community. This program is an opportunity for participants to live successfully in the community and continue to remain out of prison or other justice system settings. Environmental and programmatic safeguards are in place to protect neighbors and community members, to the extent possible, from behaviors that pose a risk to people or property and/or interfere with the rights of others. This structured, specialized environment gives participants the opportunity to make positive choices to resolve or manage the behaviors that require intensive intervention and supervision.

Companion Homes

Companion Homes provide residential services and supports in an adult foster care model to no more than one adult DDA client. The services are offered in a regular family residence approved by DDA to assure client health, safety, and well-being. DDA reimburses the provider for the instruction and support service. Companion homes provide 24-hour available supervision.

Group Homes

Group Homes are community-based residences serving two or more adult clients and are licensed as either an assisted living facility or an adult family home. Group Homes contract with DDA to provide 24-hour instruction and support. The provider owns or leases the facility. Clients must pay participation for room and board to the service provider.

Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID)

ICF/IIDs are residential settings that provide habilitative instruction and support, 24-hour supervision, vocational services, and medical/nursing services for Medicaid eligible clients who are in need of the active treatment services provided in these facilities. DDA operates ICF/IIDs in Residential Habilitation Centers (RHC) at Fircrest School in Shoreline, Lakeland Village in Medical Lake, and Rainier School in Buckley. There are also privately-operated ICF/IIDs located in King and Pierce Counties.

Residential Habilitation Centers (RHC)

RHCs are state-operated residential settings that provide habilitative instruction and support, 24-hour supervision, and medical/nursing services for clients who meet Medicaid eligibility and need active treatment services (ICF/IID) or nursing facility level of care (NF). An RHC is certified as an Intermediate Care Facility for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID) and/or licensed as a Nursing Facility (NF). In addition, respite and other specialized services may be available to clients living in the community. There are four RHCs in Washington State:

Supported Living and Group Home Rates and Reimbursement Documents

Supporting living services are provided to clients in their own homes. Clients in group homes receive the same services as supported living but are in a facility that is licensed as an assisted living facility or adult family home. If you have any questions about rates please contact Lynda O'Neil, Aging and Long-Term Support Reimbursement and Analysis & Developmental Disabilities Rates Section Manager, at (360) 725-2473 or If you have any questions about the Supported Living program please contact Valerie Kindschy, Community Residential Services Program Manager, at (360) 407-1550 or

State Operated Living Alternatives (SOLA)

SOLA programs offer Supported Living services. SOLA programs are operated by DDA with state employees providing instruction and support to clients.

Voluntary Placement Services (VPS)

Voluntary Placement Services offer a variety of supports to eligible children living in a licensed setting outside the family home, when the placement is due solely to the child's disability (RCW 74.13.350). Services may include:

  • Case management by a DDA social worker
  • Residence in a DSHS Division of Licensed Resources (DLR) foster home, group care facility, or staffed residential home
  • Respite care to the licensed provider
  • Nursing, therapies and behavior supports not already covered through Foster Care Medical Unit (FCMU) or schools
  • Shared Parenting Plan with the provider and the child's biological/adoptive parent that is designed and implemented to support the family unit while the child lives outside the family home