Can I have respite care provided in someone else’s home?

Under the Prudent Parent Law, foster parents now may also arrange for the foster child to spend the night away from the foster home for up to 72 hours with someone known to the foster parent. Foster parents must ensure the needs of the child will be met and any safety and supervision plans are followed. The Prudent Parenting law does not require payment for short term care of up to 72 hours. However, if a foster parent makes arrangements for the child and agrees to pay the alternate caregiver for short term care, the expenses are paid by the foster parent.