How to Apply for Medicaid

If you are 18 or older, you can apply for Medicaid through your local Home and Community Services (HCS) office or online.

There are three main parts to the application process:

  1. Filling out and turning in an application.
  2. A financial review to determine your financial eligibility.
  3. A personal care needs assessment to determine your functional eligibility.

Apply in person or by mail

Call or visit your local HCS office to get a Washington Apple Health Application for Long-Term Care/Aged, Blind, Disabled Coverage (18-005).

This form can also be downloaded from the Health Care Authority website

Apply on-line

All Washington residents can apply for Health Care Coverage including institutional Medicaid through the
For long-term care services you may apply online through the health plan finder. Indicate you are applying for long term care services.

To apply online for cash, basic food benefits and long-term care, you may go to Washington Connections.

Information you will need

Information you will need to provide includes:

  • A Social Security number.
  • Proof of identification.
  • Proof of income.
  • Documentation of resources (such as bank statements, property tax statements, life insurance).
  • Immigration or alien documents.
  • Proof of citizenship if you do not receive Medicare or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • Manual material on long-term care application processes.

Additional support

If you need help filling out your application, call your local HCS office or the Senior Information and Assistance office.

If you speak another language besides English or there are other things that make it difficult to understand the application process, let the HCS staff person know. Braille materials, translated written materials, large print materials, use of assisted listening devices, TTYs, or a qualified/certified interpreter or reader may be provided.

HCS employees can explain the current Medicaid eligibility rules but are not able to give you personal, financial or legal advice. Instead, you may want to talk with an attorney who understands Medicaid rules if you need help with a decision. Your local I & A can help you find legal help.  If you are low-income and have a non-criminal legal problem, the NW Justice Project has many free resources and self help information that can help.