Adult Protective Services - Mandatory Reporters

Boy image

You can make a report to Adult Protective Services (APS) even if you are not considered a mandatory reporter.

Mandatory reporters are professionals identified by law who MUST make a report if they suspect the abuse, abandonment, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult has occurred. Mandatory Reporters include:

  • An employee of the department of social and health services (DSHS) or the department of children, youth, and families (DCYF)
  • Law enforcement officers
  • Social workers
  • Professional school personnel
  • Individual providers
  • Operators of a facility or a certified residential services and supports agency under chapter 71A.12 RCW
  • Employees of a facility
  • Employees of a social service, welfare, mental health, adult day health, adult day care, home health, home care, hospice, or certified residential services and supports agency
  • County coroners or medical examiner s
  • Christian Science practitioners; or
  • Health care provider subject to Title 18 RCW (such as nurses and doctors)

Who else do I need to contact?

Law Enforcement

Mandatory reporters must also make a report to law enforcement if they suspect a vulnerable adult has been sexually or physically assaulted, or if they have reasonable cause to believe that an act has caused fear of imminent harm.

Mandatory reporters may not have to make a report to law enforcement for some types of physical assault between two vulnerable adults. For these types of physical assault, see RCW 74.34.035(4).

Medical Examiner or Coroner

Mandatory reporters are also required by law to report a death to the local Medical Examiner or Coroner if there is reason to suspect that the death of a vulnerable adult was caused by abuse.

Learn more about Adult Protective Services