AFH Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

Residential Care Services has compiled the following responses to frequently asked questions from prospective and current providers.

If you want to become a licensed AFH provider, and you have NOT been the licensee of a licensed AFH in Washington State in the past 12 months, you must first attend a department-sponsored orientation class for prospective providers.  The college will provide you with a certificate of completion at the end of the one-day class. The certificate is valid for one calendar year from the date of attendance. Find training class.

The AFH license application is available on-line, be sure to use the separate instruction sheet when filling out the application. Adult Family Home License Application (DSHS 10-410).

The amount of time it takes to process a license application will vary based on several factors. The application can take 60 days or more to process. A staff person will contact you via email at the email address listed in the application once assigned for review. 

The most important thing you can do to assist yourself and us in this process is to assure that the application and accompanying materials you submit are correct and complete.

To change the license status of a currently licensed AFH (for example, changing from a sole proprietorship to a corporation); you must complete the AFH license application using the separate instruction sheet.

For a an increase in licensed beds submit an AFH Capacity Increase Change form (DSHS 06-168) and include any fees due at the time of submission. To reduce how many beds you are licensed requires a completed AFH Capacity Decrease Change form (DSHS 06-169).

Send an email to or contact the AFH Contracts Manager at (360) 725-2649.