All our access, diversity goals, values and practices are interconnected and interdependent, and we all share the responsibility for equity and inclusion.
We transform lives by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion with DSHS employees, customers, communities and partners.
Equity - fairness with each other and those we serve.
Diversity - embracing differences in ourselves and others.
Inclusion - cooperation, collaboration and responsibility.
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
The Department of Social and Health Services is an agency committed to diversity. Our main goal is to create an environment of mutual respect, tolerance and equal opportunity to all persons we serve without regard to race, color, sex, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, disabled veteran, Vietnam era veteran, recently separated veteran and other protected veterans status or the presence of any physical, sensory or mental disability.*
The CIA World FACTBOOK offers a variety of resources about our world including maps, country profiles, and the rich cultures, customs, and history of peoples from across the globe.
*WAC 357-01-005 - Affected Groups: "Those groups that must be included in affirmative action plans and updates and who may be beneficiaries of affirmative action programs. Affected groups include: Blacks, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Hispanics/Latinos, American Indians/Alaska Natives, women, persons age 40 and over, persons with disabilities, Vietnam-era veterans and disabled veterans. Employers must use the most current federal definitions and categories in their plans and updates."
For Civil Rights Complaints:
- Contact 1-800-521-8060 for Investigations and for Reasonable Accommodations
Compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act
- Andrew Colvin, ADA Coordinator, 360.725.5801
- Americans with Disabilities Act - Department of Justice
- Office of Financial Management Accounting Rules: ADA Section
- Reasonable Accommodations Policy Guidelines
- Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 51-50- Washington building code amendments
- For Individuals with Disabilities and DSHS Clients (Inclusion in DSHS Employment Opportunities)