The following free publications are PDFs that can be viewed on-line. Many are available in several languages.
If you would like printed copies, go to the Washington State Department of Enterprise Services website (look under booklets or brochures) or by:
- e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone at (360) 586-6360
- fax at (360) 586-6361
If you don't order online, you will need the publication number which is on the back page of a publication in the format DSHS 22-###(X). Make sure to include your mailing address.
- Beyond the Walls: A Guide to Services for Families Affected by Incarceration! (DSHS 22-1288x) This publication provides information to families and social service staff on DSHS services along with services from other agencies that may help meet the needs of families dealing with the incarceration of a family member.
English, Spanish. (PDF)
- Consent to Health Care for the Child in Your Care: A Kinship Caregiver's Guide (DSHS 22-1119x) This brochure explains a new law passed by the 2005 WA State Legislature which spells out a relative's rights and responsibilities.
English, Cambodian, English, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Vietnamese. (PDF)
- Did You Know about the Following Services and Supports for Grandparents and Relatives Raising Children (DSHS 22-1120x) This six page pamphlet provides a comprehensive list of various resources, benefits, and support services available to relatives raising children.
English, Cambodian, Chinese, Korean, Laotian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese (PDF) (English and Spanish copies can be ordered)
- Education Advocacy Guide for Caregivers- Supporting School Success for Children and Youth in Care (22-1192)
This guide can help caregivers better understand what education advocacy is and what is expected of students from preschool to high school.
- A Guide to Child Support Services for Relative Caregivers, (DSHS 22-1143) describes what services the DSHS Division of Child Support (DCS) can provide to you if you are taking care of a relative’s child.
- Relatives as Parents: A Resource Guide for Relatives Raising Children in Washington State(DSHS 22-996x) This 75 page booklet is an extensive resource guide for relative caregivers.
- AARP Grandparent Information Center - Provides an extensive range of services including a listing of local support groups, newsletters, and useful publications.
- The Brookdale Foundation Group - The Brookdale Relatives As Parents Program - RAPP provides seed grants to support local and state agencies serving grandparents and other kin who have become the primary caretakers of their grandchildren.
- Child Welfare League of America - The CWLA is the nation's oldest and largest membership-based child welfare organization, committed to engaging people everywhere in promoting the well-being of children, youth, and their families, and protecting every child from harm.
- Children of Alcoholics Foundation - COAF Ties That Bind Project - COAF provides tips for relatives who have taken over the care of a child when parents' drug or alcohol use has left them unable to care for their children.
- Children's Defense Fund - The CDF provides a strong, effective voice for all the children of America with special attention to the needs of poor and minority children and those with disabilities.
- Generations United - Offers information and advocacy relating to grandparent caregivers plus a very good biennial conference.
- GrandFamilies of America -Bringing together grandparents/relative caregivers, to provide them with the education and tools, to enable them to provide 24/7 safety and permanency for the children in their care.
- The Grandmother Project - Provides news of how grandmothers are helping grandchildren in different parts of the world.
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren and Grief by Ron Huxley - Articles and newsletters for Grandparents raising grandchildren.
- National Alliance for Caregiving - Connects families with information on caregiver resources and local services.
- The National Resource Center for Respite and Crisis Care Services - The Chapel Hill Training Outreach Project includes information on grandparents raising grandchildren.
- Urban Institute - Kinship Care - A series of research articles on the topic of kinship care can be found here.
- Callender, J. Second Time Around: Help for Grandparents Who Raise Their Children's Kids. Wilsonville , OR : Book Partners. 1999
- Coloroso, B. Parenting with Wit and Wisdom in Times of Chaos and Loss. New York , N.Y. : Penguin Books. 1999
- Comer, J.P., M.D. and Poussaint, A.F., M.D. Raising Black Children. New York : Penguin Books. 1992
- DeToledo, S. and Brown, D.E. Grandparents as Parents: A Survival Guide for Raising Second Family. New York , N.Y. : Guilford Press. 1995
- Dudman-Doucette, D. Raising our Children's Children. Minneapolis : Fairview Press. 1996
- Faber, A. and Mazlish, E. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk. New York : Avon Books. 1980
- Hickman, M.W. Robert Lives with His Grandparents. Morton Grove , Ill. : Albert Whitman and Company. 1995
- Houtman, S. To Grandma's House, We…Stay. Northridge , CA : Studio 4 Productions. 1999
- Kornhaber, A. The Grandparent Guide: The Definitive Guide to Coping with the Challenges of Modern Grandparenting. New York : McGraw Hill/Contemporary Books. 2002
- Lindsay, J.W. School-Age Parents: The Challenge of Three Generation Living. Buena Park , CA.: Glory Press. 1990
- Minkler, M. and Roe, K.M. Grandmothers as Caregivers: Raising Children of the Crack. Newbury Park , CA : Sage Publications. 1993
- Sederman, M., Epstein, S., and Brooks, K. The Magic Box: When Parents Can't Be There to Tuck You In. Washington , D.C. : American Psychological Association Publications 2002
- Silvas , Linda . Mama Bear, Baby Bear: A Native American Lore.
To view one or more of these publications, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't have it on your computer, download it here. It is free software. After you download Acrobat Reader, run the installer.
If you have trouble downloading or installing, read Adobe's Technical Troubleshooting Guide. It links to several helpful troubleshooting documents.