Kinship Caregiver Program Receives National Honor
DSHS partners with Family Education and Support Services (FESS) which received the prestigious National Brookdale Foundation Grandfamilies Award at the Generations United Intergenerational Action on a Global Scale national conference on July 24 in Honolulu, HI.
“It is a tremendous honor for FESS,” said ALTSA Assistant Secretary Bill Moss. “Kinship Care support is a valuable and critical service for both the children and the relatives who raise them. The important assistance FESS provides families is a great example of transforming lives in action. Congratulations on receiving this award.”
FESS gives kinship caregivers that essential helping hand. Operating with the philosophy that strong families generate strong communities, they offer kinship caregiver parent education through support groups and increased access to resources in the community through kinship navigator services and provide support through an emergent need fund through the Kinship Caregivers Support Program. In addition, FESS staff coordinate the annual Voices of Children – Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives and sponsor Zumba classes for kinship care families along with many other regional and statewide kinship care activities.
FESS covers Thurston, Mason, and Lewis counties.
The award honors a professional, a relative caregiver or an organization that has made an outstanding contribution to the field of grandparents and other relatives raising children.
- 2015 Voices of Children – Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives Contest
A compilation of poems, essays and drawings submitted by children living in WA State.
- Governor Inslee proclaims Kinship Caregiver Day – May 20, 2015
- Unsung Hero Include Two Kinship Caregivers - February 20, 2015
Linda and Becky Porter received an Unsung Hero Award by the Children’s Trust Fund of Washington and Seattle’s Child.
- Kinship Advocacy Day, February 20, 2015, 11-1 PM (PDF)
- Child-only TANF Policy change for Kinship Caregivers living on retirement Income coming November 1, 2014(PDF) Spanish
- 2014 Contest Winners: Voices of Children-Raised by Grandparents and Other Relatives, Press Release (PDF)
- New Washington State Lifespan Respite Voucher Program now available! (PDF)
- Governor Inslee Proclaims May 21, 2014 as Kinship Caregiver Day (PDF)
- National Grandparents Day Celebrated with WA’s First Lady, Mrs. Trudy Inslee (PDF)
- When Kin Step In, by Judy Lightfoot, Crosscut.com, September 3, 2013
- King County Kinship Center Director Kimberly Walker wins Ms. Washington Plus America, will compete for National Title while focusing on Kinship Care (PDF)
- Updated comprehensive resource pamphlet available for kinship caregivers and the public: Did You Know about the Following Services and Supports for Grandparents and Relatives Raising Children (DSHS 22-1120x)
- Six Young Writers Speak Up about Kinship Care and are Winners of State Contest! (PDF)
- Stepping Up for Kids: What Government and Communities Should do to Support Kinship Families (PDF)
May 23, 2012 The Annie E . Casey Foundation | KidsCount Policy Report
- Kinship Caregivers Who Lost Child Only TANF GRANT in November 2012. (PDF)
- Second parenthood a grand challenge (Tuesday, November 1, 2011)