Health Care

Applying for Children's Health Coverage

Children who receive a TANF grant are eligible to receive free medical coverage. Children who do not receive a TANF grant may also qualify for free or low-cost medical coverage through the Washington Apple Health program. Even caregivers may be eligible for coverage. To find out if you are eligible for Washington Apple Health coverage you may apply online at, or by calling the customer service center at 1-855-923-4633.

Children who are dependents of the state are automatically eligible for Washington Apple Health coverage, no application is necessary. Children’s Administration notifies the Health Care Authority directly when the child is taken into care.

Note: The Help Me Grow Washington Hotline offers free information and referral services and can help you find answers to your questions about health insurance and a variety of other questions on nutrition resources, immunization, child care, child development. Visit their website or call 1-800-322-2588 (TTY 711) Medicaid.

Children with Special Health Care Needs

If you have a child with developmental disabilities or chronic medical conditions, you or your child may have special questions and need special assistance. Here are some resources available to get you connected to free care coordination, information, and support in Washington:

Dental Care Services and Resources

For help finding dental care:

  • The Center for Pediatric Dentistry:  How to get care and the care we provide
    The Center for Pediatric Dentistry provides comprehensive dental care to children of all ages - even before a tooth can be seen in the mouth.  The Center for Pediatric Dentistry provides expert care to children with special needs.  Dental care at the Center for Pediatric Dentistry is directed by our expert Pediatric Dental Faculty
  • Make an appointment: 206-543-5800.  Visit our website: Both our Front Desk and Clinic Staff will ask for information that will help us provide the best dental care possible.  We accept many types of dental insurance including Medicaid.  Parents, caregivers and children living with relatives are encouraged to ask all the questions you like so we can best meet the needs of your child.
  • The Center for Pediatric Dentistry is a collaboration of the University of Washington and Seattle Children's and is located at: 6222 NE 74th Street Seattle, 98115.   
  • Dental Health Information for Children with Special Health Care Needs can be found at:
  • Washington Information Network 2-1-1
  • For a brochure of local dental services go to How to Find Dental Care and click on your county. You can also find information about dental care for your child or teen.
Behavioral Health

Children in a relative's care may be eligible for Medicaid to cover mental health services (as well as medical and dental health insurance).

To apply, contact your local Community Services Office - CSO. You will have to fill out an application. You can pick up and application at the CSO or download the Medicaid Application and bring it with you.

Find local contact information for organizations that provide mental health services for children receiving Medicaid.

Parents Guide to the Mental Health System.

Note: Information, training and support are available on raising children with emotional, behavioral, or mental disorders. Learn more...

Drugs and Alcohol Services

Medicaid - Chemical dependency treatment services

Treatment services through the Division of Behavior Health and Rehabilitation - DASA can be paid for through Medicaid if eligible. There are also "hardship funds" that can help caregivers with travel and lodging expenses while a youth is in treatment. Treatment services are also available for adults who meet income guidelines.

For more information or to apply for services, call the Washington Recovery Help Line at 1-866-789-1511.

Note: Pamphlets, brochures, training, videos is available raising children when substance abuse is an issue with the parent or child. Learn more...

Informed Consent for Medical and Mental Health Services

Washington State law now allows adults raising a relative's child to consent to medical and mental health care – services even if you don't have legal custody.

For more in-depth information about this law, read A Kinship Caregiver's Guide to Consenting to Health Care from Washington Law Help website. A brochure Consent to Health Care for the Child in Your Care (PDF) is also available on the topic. Both documents have a sample declaration form.

Relative caregivers involved with Children's Administration still must have a court order to consent to surgery for a child placed with them through the Division of Children and Family Services.

See the Legal Issues section for more information about finding and getting legal advice.

Health Resources and Information

Washington State Medical Home  - Website was created to support youth and families in understanding how to partner with their health care providers, understand their health conditions, and make informed health care decisions.

Children receiving medical coverage from the State of Washington are eligible for replacement eye glasses from a provider accepting medical coupons any time they lose, out grow or break a previous pair. There is no limit on how many pairs are replaced and no “prior authorization” is needed. This benefit applies to children at home or in care as long as their medical coverage is provided by the State of Washington. For children with private insurance, please check with the child’s specific insurance plan.

Information on the Importance of Adult Immunization

Living Well with Chronic Conditions in Washington State website:  Your health counts!  To learn more about healthy aging programs in Washington State visit the website to find events, workshops, trainings, programs, and resources.

Watch from your home or office helpful online information on memory, depression, food, medications, and physical activity. 

From Coverage to Care: A Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You.
If you’re new to health insurance, you haven’t had insurance for a while, you’re confused by your insurance paperwork and need a refresher on insurance terms, or you want to teach your children about insurance as they reach adulthood, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services - CMS offers this guide..

Health and Safety Information from the Washington State Department of Health

Get free health and safety information: