Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA)

Revised November 12, 2021

What it is:

Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA) provides alternative assistance for families who have a short term need and do not wish to receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) assistance.

Who is eligible:

Families meeting the income and resource requirements AND can demonstrate that they expect to have income and resources to meet their long-term needs. Families who receive this assistance are expected to not need TANF assistance for the next 12 months. Income and resource requirements are the same as for TANF and Family Medical. In determining net income, we count only half of earned income, and give you credit for child support that is paid out by your family.

How diversion helps

Diversion can help with expenses such as:

  • Housing
  • Transportation
  • Medical bills
  • Employment
  • Childcare

Additional program information

If you choose to receive DCA:

  • You are eligible for only one thirty-day period per year.
  • The maximum benefit is $1,250.
  • You must repay a pro-rated portion of the grant if you go on TANF before one year
  • You will not use any of your sixty-month lifetime limit for TANF benefits.
Number of Persons Monthly Income Limit
1 $417
2 $528
3 $654
4 $771
5 $888
6 $1,009

How to Apply:

You can apply for Diversion Cash Assistance online or at your local Community Services Office.

As with all our programs, the only way to know for sure if you are eligible is to apply.