Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to DSHS Economic Services Administration's Frequently Asked Questions!

Starting February 1, 2021, a person who receives Temporary Assistance for Needy Families through the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) for one or more children may receive a portion of child support paid on their case, called a pass-through payment.

The Division of Child Support (DCS) will send a pass-through payment if we receive the collection (payment) on or after February 1, 2021. Payments on your DCS case may not always arrive at the beginning of the month. Pass-through payments are only disbursed once we have received a payment from the other parent. We cannot send a pass-through in advance - only when we collect a payment from the other parent.

If you are already set up to receive child support by direct deposit through DCS, the funds will process to that bank account within three days of disbursement.  If you do not have direct deposit, DCS will set you up with a U.S. Bank ReliaCard®, and the funds will process on to the card within three days of disbursement.

Child support collections that are sent to the person who is owed support per their child support order.

A pass-through payment is only disbursed when a payment has been received.  Your pass-through will not carry over to the next month.

Effective February 1, 2021, DCS sends pass-through payments of:

i. Up to $50 per month to a custodial parent on TANF with 1 child, and

ii. Up to $100 per month to a custodial parent on TANF with 2 or more children.

You may call the DCS Electronic Funds Transfer unit at 800-468-7422. DCS is available M-F 8:00am – 5:00pm.