EBT and EFT Make Getting Benefits Easier

Electronic Benefits Transfer and Electronic Funds TransferEBT Card

Welcome to the information page for Washington Electronic Benefits Transfer and the Washington Quest EBT Card — the safe, convenient and easy way to use your benefits.

If you are approved for food benefits, you can use your Washington Quest EBT Card to buy eligible food items at any participating store Some stores may offer online purchasing.

If you are approved for cash benefits, you can use your Washington Quest EBT Card to pay for purchases at participating stores or withdraw your benefits at an ATM like you would use a debit card.


What is an EBT card?

If you receive cash or food assistance, you will get a Washington Quest Electronic Benefits Transfer Card  or Washington Quest EBT Card. Use this card like a debit card for purchases at participating stores for food or other purchases. You can also use this card to withdraw cash benefits at an ATM. You’ll need to know your four-digit Personal Identification Number or PIN to use your card.

What is a PIN?

A Personal Identification Number is a four-digit number created by you to access your benefits. It’s important to learn and remember your PIN. Do not share your PIN with anyone and DO NOT write your PIN on your EBT card. If someone knows your PIN, they can use your card and have access to  ALL of your benefits. Stolen benefits may or may not be replaced. Common PINs such as 1234, 9999, 0000, etc., are not allowed.

How do I select a PIN?

You can select your four-digit PIN by calling EBT Customer Service at 888-328-9271, going in person to your local DSHS office or using the ebtEDGE website or mobile app.

When should I receive my benefits?

For Food Benefits: Food benefits are deposited the first through the 20th days of each month. Your approval letter will say which specific day of the month your benefits will be deposited to your card. 

For Cash Benefits: Ongoing cash benefits are deposited on the first day of each month. If you’re enrolled for Electronic Funds Transfer or EFT Direct Deposit, cash benefits are deposited on the first banking day of every month. For example, if the first day of the month is Saturday, your benefits will not be available until Monday, the third day of the month.

Food benefits will be deposited into your EBT account on the same day each month, even if it falls on a weekend or holiday. Benefits are available by 6 a.m. Pacific time. Benefits you have left over at the end of the month will be carried over to the next month.

How do I use my EBT card at the store or farmer’s market?

  1. Know your balance before you go shopping by visiting www.ebtedge.com or call EBT Customer Service at 888-328-9271.
  2. Swipe your Washington Quest EBT Card through the Point-Of-Sale terminal at the register or check-out.
  3. Enter your four-digit PIN on the keypad. The terminal will show ****.
  4. Press the OK or ENTER key.
  5. The clerk enters the purchase amount and, if it’s correct, press the YES key or ENTER key.
  6. The clerk will hand you your receipt. Make sure the information on the receipt is correct.
  7. Keep this receipt so you’ll know your new balance the next time you shop. The steps differ slightly for each type of machine.

You may use your cash benefits at stores to make a cash-only withdrawal or to purchase food and non-food items (soap, diapers, etc.). Stores may provide cash back when you make a purchase from your cash account.

How do I use my EBT card at the ATM to withdraw cash benefits?

Food benefits cannot be accessed through an ATM.

  1. Insert or swipe your Washington Quest EBT Card.
  2. Enter your PIN and press OK or ENTER as you are prompted on the ATM screen.
  3. Select the WITHDRAW CASH option and then select CHECKING.
  4. Enter the amount you’d like to withdraw using whole dollar amounts like $20, $40, $60, etc.
  5. If there is a surcharge:
    1. Select “YES” to accept and continue with the transaction.
    2. Select “NO” to cancel the transaction if you don’t want to pay the surcharge.
  6. When your transaction is complete, be sure to remove your card if you were instructed to insert it into the ATM. Take your cash and your receipt.
  7. Keep your receipt so you’ll know how much money is remaining in your account.

These steps may differ slightly for each type of ATM.

Can I use my EBT card to purchase food items online?

Yes. Click here for a list of approved retailers.

Is there an approved mobile app that you can use to manage your EBT card and account?

Yes, you can visit ebtEDGE | FIS Global to download the approved EbtEdge mobile app to manage your EBT card and account.

How do I access my EBT account information?   ebtEDGE logo
App Store logoGoogle Play


, use the ebtEDGE mobile app or call EBT Customer Service at 888-328-9271.

How do I check the balance on my card?

Know your balance before you go shopping by visiting ebtedge.com, using the ebtEDGE mobile app or calling EBT Customer Service at 888-328-9271.

I lost my EBT card or it was stolen. What do I do?

If EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, call EBT Customer Service immediately at 888-328-9271.   

Do I have to have an EBT card to access my benefits?

If you receive food benefits, you’ll need to use an EBT card to access them. If you receive cash assistance, you can access your benefits from your EBT card or EFT Direct Deposit if you enrolled in direct deposit.

Click here for the Cash Assistance EFT Direct Deposit Enrollment form.

Other EBT Card Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use my EBT card out of state?

The Washington Quest EBT card is accepted nationwide at retailers participating in the EBT program. Look for the QUEST EBT sign, SNAP logo or check with the store before trying to use your EBT card. Stores that sell food may or may not participate as providers of cash benefits.

 QuestSNAP logo

Can I return a purchase made with my EBT card?

Yes! For example, if milk you just bought is spoiled, you can bring the spoiled milk and the receipt back to the store. Your food benefits will be returned to your EBT card. You won’t receive cash for the return if the item was purchased using your food benefits.

Can I get cash back from the food benefits on my EBT card?


My EBT benefits were stolen. What do I do?

Congress passed a law that lets DSHS replace some food benefits stolen through skimming, cloning or similar fraudulent activity. Customers who believe they’re victims of food benefits theft should submit a claim to have some food benefits replaced.

Unfortunately, cash benefits cannot be replaced at this time. Customers are encouraged to continue to report this theft to the department so we can track these losses.

Completed DSHS Claim of Stolen EBT Benefits forms (DSHS 27-225) can be submitted in person in a DSHS Community Services Office, by phone through the DSHS Customer Service Contact Center (877-501-2233), by mail or by fax.

If your EBT card is lost or stolen and the benefits are used, those benefits can NOT be replaced.

What can I do with my EBT card and benefits?

You and your household may use your food benefits to buy food from a USDA-authorized retailer (look for the SNAP or EBT logos) and you may use your cash benefits for living expenses such as shelter, clothing, fuel, and other necessary items.

For more information about what can do with your cash and food benefits, please review the this form.

What am I not allowed to do with my EBT card and benefits?

Some examples of things you are not allowed to do with your EBT card and benefits:

  • Sell or attempt to sell your card and/or benefits.
  • Use your benefits for gambling purposes.

Give your benefits to someone who is not in your household. 

For more information about the proper use of your cash and food benefits, please review the Your DSHS Cash and Food Benefits form.

Do my EBT benefits expire?

If you don’t use all your benefits during the month they were issued, the benefits will carry over to the next month. If you don’t use at least some of your benefits within 274 days, the benefits will be removed. In some cases, these benefits won’t be replaced.

Can someone shop for me?

Yes, you can choose a person to shop for you. This person is called an Alternate Cardholder. The Alternate Cardholder must go into the local DSHS office to receive their own Washington Quest EBT Card and PIN.  If you need an Alternate Cardholder, choose a person you trust. Remember, you’re approving access to all your benefits, so anything they spend can’t be replaced. You can cancel an Alternate Cardholder’s card by calling EBT Customer Service at 888-328-9271 or by contacting the DSHS Customer Service Contact Center at 877-501-2233.

How can I protect my benefits from theft?

  • Keep your EBT Card PIN Secret. Don’t share it with anyone outside of your household. Be sure to cover the keypad when you enter your pin on a machine.
  • Don’t share your EBT Card Number or PIN with anyone through phone or text. Phishing scams are rampant, especially through text message.
  • Check your EBT account regularly for unauthorized charges.  If you notice any, change your PIN immediately to stop any new purchases.
  • Check card-reading machines to make sure there’s nothing suspicious laid over the top or attached to the card swiper or keypad. Overlays can be hard to detect but are often bigger than the original machine and may hide parts of the machine.
  • Use features offered by the EBT card vendor at ebtEDGE.com to freeze/unfreeze your card as well as block out-of-state and online purchases.
  • See more options for protecting your benefits in the EBT Skimming Brochure

Top of page