New Hire Reporting

Program Information

Federal and state laws require you to report all newly hired and rehired employees to the Division of Child Support (DCS) within 20 days of hire or rehire, regardless of their age or the numbers of hours worked. A newly hired employee is one who has not worked for you before, one who has returned to work for you after a separation of at least 60 consecutive days, or one who has started working for you under a new Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). 

DCS recognizes Indian tribal sovereignty. Indian tribes, tribally owned businesses, and Indian-owned businesses located on reservations, are exempt from new hire reporting requirements. However, voluntarily reporting of new or rehired employees is appreciated.

If reporting for the first time, only report employees hired since your last quarterly report to Employment Security Department as DCSOnline only accepts reports with a date of hire no more than one year in the past and 90 days in the future. You can find information on how to set up and use a DCS Online account on our Employer Educational Materials page.

For more information, check out the Introduction to New Hire Reporting, watch our video in English orSpanishor browse our  Frequently Asked Questions.

What to Report:

When reporting new hires, you will need the following information about your employees and company:

Employee Information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Date of Birth
  • Date of Hire

Employer Information:

  • Business Name
  • Business Address
  • Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN)

What if my employee does NOT have a social security number?

Your employee needs to apply for a social security card by downloading and submitting a completed Form SS-5. Form SS-5 can also be obtained by calling 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting a local Social Security office. These services are free. For additional information, see the federal Office Of Child Support Enforcement website, New Hire Reporting – Answers to Employer Questions, number 22. Promptly report the employee as a new hire once they receive their social security card.

How to Report New Hires:

Although we prefer you to report online, you may fax, mail or call in the information. If you chose to fax, you may send W-4 forms, computer printouts, other lists (except I-9 forms), or use our New Hire Reporting Form (DSHS form 18-463).

While you can call our toll free line anytime, we only have people available to take your report during regular business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.


Visit Secure Access Washington (SAW). Add the DCS Online service to your SAW account, and use it to report online.






New Hire Program
PO Box 9023
Olympia, WA 98507-9023

Out-of-state employers moving existing employees into Washington state:

  • If the employee is working under the same FEIN. then the employer does NOT need to report them as a new hire.
  • If the employee is working under a new FEIN, then the employer does need to report them as a new hire.

Multi-State Employers:

US map

Employers doing business in two or more states may register with the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) and report all new hires and rehires to one state. All you need to do is:

For assistance with Multi-state Employer Registration, contact the OCSE Help Desk at 1-800-258-2736 or e-mail


Contact Us

Call 1-800-562-0479 Employer Relations Team, or email with your child support questions.