Non-Needy Relative, In Loco Parentis, and Legal Guardian Grant

What it is:

Cash and medical assistance for children who are in the care of a relative of specified degree or a legal guardian or custodian. Adults who act "in loco parentis" or in the place of a parent may also be eligible.

Who is eligible:

Relatives of a specified degree that care for a minor relative child in their home. A relative of specified degree includes:

  • Siblings
  • Nephews
  • Aunts
  • Grandparents
  • First Cousins
  • Nieces
  • Uncles

Prefixes of great, great-great or great-great-great are also included. (Such as great-grandparents, great-uncle, etc.) Half-relatives of the above listed relationships can also be considered a relative of specified degree.

Adults who are acting "in the place of a parent" may also be eligible. To be considered as acting in the place of a parent, the adult must have intentionally taken the place of a parent and be responsible for exercising day-to-day care and control of the child. For more information, see the E-Z Manual link at the top of the page.

The Legal Guardian Program provides medical and cash assistance for children who are living with a legal guardian.

To apply for benefits you must:

  • Complete an application for benefits.
  • Cooperate with the collection of child support unless it is unsafe to do so.
  • Sign over child support rights to DSHS.
  • Complete an interview.

You can apply for services online, by phone at 877-501-2233 or at your local Community Services Office. As with all our programs, the only way to know for sure if you are eligible is to apply.