Loss, Theft, Destruction or Non-Receipt of a Warrant to Clients or Vendors

Revised March 25, 2011

WAC 388-412-0035 Loss, theft, destruction or nonreceipt of a warrant issued to clients and vendors.

Clarifying Information - WAC 388-412-0035

  1. The department does not replace lost or stolen cash. Do not replace a warrant which was endorsed by the payee as this is considered to be the same as cash.
  2. The Office of the State Treasurer (OST) Inquiry System is used to determine whether a warrant was endorsed and redeemed. If a warrant was redeemed but the client claims they have not received or endorsed the warrant, the worker must determine if the warrant should be replaced.
  3. If a client makes numerous requests for replacement warrants the department is to investigate the need for a protective payee and establish one, if it is in the best interest of the client to do so.
  4. If the original warrant is redeemed by the state treasurer, the department takes the necessary action to collect repayment.

Worker Responsibilities - WAC 388-412-0035

  1. Reported loss:
    1. The worker:
      1. Gets all facts surrounding the report of loss;
      2. Explains to the client that when the Division of Fraud determines that both the original and replacement warrants are endorsed by the client:
        1. An intentional overpayment is established;
        2. The grant is reduced by ten percent; and
        3. May be referred to the county prosecutor for criminal prosecution.
      3. Assesses the reported facts and make a judgment of the validity of the report using the following sources:
        1. The Registration and Control of Negotiable (RCN) program to determine if the warrant returned to the CSO; If not:
        2. OST to determine if the warrant was redeemed.
      4. Requires the payee to report the non-receipt or theft to the post office or police, as appropriate;
      5. Determines an appropriate course of action; and
      6. Informs the client in writing of the action taken.
    2. If the worker decides to replace the warrant:, the worker:
      1. Asks the payee to sign a DSHS 07-008(X) Affidavit of Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Warrant. Follow the forms instruction for distribution of the form.
      2. Authorizes a replacement warrant; and
      3. Documents all actions taken.
  2. Redeemed warrants and affidavits of forged endorsement:  If the original warrant that was replaced is redeemed, Disbursements sends the CSO a copy of the signed warrant for the client to examine.
    1. When the CSO receives this copy, the worker sends a letter to the payee within 10 days asking the payee to come to the CSO to examine the signature.
    2. When the payee examines the signature and declares it is a forgery, the worker:
      1. Has the payee sign a DSHS 09-052(X), Affidavit of Forged Endorsement in the presence of a notary; and
      2. Sends the DSHS 09-052(X) with a copy of the DSHS 07-008(X) to Disbursements.
    3. If the payee declares the signature is theirs, the worker:
      1. Sends a memorandum to Disbursements immediately;
      2. Determines if there was intent to commit fraud;
      3. Establishes an overpayment if the payee benefitted from both the original and replacement warrants; and
      4. Sends a DSHS 02-182(X), DFI Referral if there was intent to commit fraud.
    NOTE: The payee may have signed both warrants but the payee may not have realized that they did due to confusion or mental deficiency. If unsure of intent, establish the overpayment based on DFI's findings.

    Office of Accounting Services

    Central Operations, SOL Desk
    PO Box 45845
    MS:  45845
    Olympia, WA  98405-5845

    Requests for a warrant are processed weekly and returned via campus

    1. If the payee is not sure if the signature is theirs, the worker:
      1. Sends a DSHS 02-182(X) attaching a copy of the endorsed warrant;
      2. Takes the appropriate action based on DFI's findings;
      3. Has the client sign the DSHS 09-052(X) when DFI determines that the payee did not redeem both warrants; and
      4. Sends the DSHS 09-052(X) to Disbursements.
    2. If the payee does not come into the CSO to examine the signature, the worker:
      1. Sends a DSHS 09-182(X) to DFI to determine if there was intent to commit fraud; and
      2. Take appropriate action based on DFI's findings
  3. Replacing Lost or Out-of-Date SSP Warrants
    1. When a payee reports a lost SSP warrant, ask the payee to sign a DSHS 07-008(X) Affidavit of Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Warrant.
    2. Send the notarized affidavit along with the worker's name and phone number to the address at the top of the form.
    3. If the warrant is out-of-date, send the warrant along with a note requesting replacement. Include the worker's name and phone number.  Send to:
  4. Requesting Copies of Warrants:
    1. To receive a copy of a warrant, contact your regional fiscal office.
    2. Include the following information in the request 
      1. Warrant number;
      2. Date on the warrant;
      3. Amount of warrant; and
      4. Payee name.